Friday, May 16, 2014

The Eyes Have it

Greetings again, readers.  Another game night, and another late post from me.  But, that's what I have my old collection of miniatures for!  Tonight, we're going to take a look at a dwarven gryphon rider by Reaper Miniatures - and I've chosen a particular reason to show this figure off - the eyes:


As you can see, the eyes on this one are significantly more detailed than my usual fair - because they are significantly larger, and I can play around with the light and shadow on them a lot more, giving them a much brighter and more lively appearance.  In order for eyes like these to look good, you must remember that the iris of an eye is a refractive surface - which means that the highlights for the eyes will be at the bottom, rather than the top, with a bright reflective light source will define the arc of the upper iris.  Doing this can give you some really spectacular results - as you can see for yourselves in the above and below pictures:


That's all from me tonight.  I shall return tomorrow with more pictures of my WIP on Nethyrmaul - and another figure that I picked up the pieces for yesterday and today.  Until then...  Paint on!

No comments:

Post a Comment