Saturday, May 3, 2014

Thar be cheese in these here waters!

Greetings once again, my readers.  As promised yesterday, I'm going to talk about sealing your miniatures.  But before we get to that, here's the latest in my miniatures collection - the pirate mousling.  Yarr!






I used a different color for the base, to give it a more beach-like sand color on the base.  It came out a bit darker than I would like, but still lets you see what you can do with different colors even with the same basic texture.

Now, for the important bit:  sealing your miniatures.  Sealing your miniatures is a very important part of the process, as not doing so makes your figures significantly more vulnerable to damage.  Going with a gloss sealer will give you greater durability, but in most cases will leave the figure far too shiny to look good, while using a matte sealer (such as Testor's Dullcote) will look significantly better, but be more prone to damage.

Which brings us to the style that I like to use - the Bullet Coat.  This method works by layering Gloss and Matte sealers to maximize the protection and minimize the glare given off by the figure.  I like to take it up a step by using the following:





From left to right: Gloss Laquer, Gloss Acrylic, Matte Laquer, Matte Acrylic.

By alternating between Laquer and Acrylic, it makes the figure even more durable as it is significantly less likely to wear through or chip multiple levels at once, and comes out looking like you have hardly done anything to the figure itself.

Of course, sometimes the matte sealer doesn't kick in for a few days, while it cures, but it usually works out in the end.





And that's that for today.  Hopefully, I'll have a few WIP pictures of my next competition piece to show you all - and once that is finished off, we shall start on the process of conquering the dragon!  And I'll start talking about various painting techniques that I have used and learned to love.
Until then, keep painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment