Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Project Update 05/06/14 - Getting Washed

Greetings, my readers.  It's time, once more, to take a look at what I've accomplished today.

First off, the base that I've been working on - I'm making progress on it, only having to ink the trim and apply the static grass before it's ready to go:


And here you can see a little preview of what it will be a part of - a Skaven Warplightning Cannon.  It should be a rather impressive setup once everything's said and done:


And, finally, we have the latest on my next contest piece.  Armor, Skin, and Fur are finished, and I've started on the wooden haft of the halberd, but I still have a very long way to go before the figure's finished.  But I am very happy with where it's going, and am very much looking forward to seeing the finished product!



And finally, I promised that I'd talk with you a bit about washes today, and so I shall.  A wash is a very watery layer of paint or ink that you paint over a figure in order to provide quick and easy shading to the figure, adding definition and detail without much work.  It can be a crucial aid in painting a figure, particularly if you are trying to work quickly or working from a non-black base.  However, washes are not without their issues - the wash can pool in unusual ways, breaking the illusion of the figure, and they tend to darken the overall figure.

In my experience, Washes are best used as an intermediary step - to add or tinge your paint scheme in a certain way before adding in additional highlights and details on your own.  And in this role, they can be an absolute godsend.

Choosing the correct color is a huge part of this, of course.  Generally, you'll either want to go with a dark brown wash to dirty up the figure, a black or dark blue wash to simulate shadows (Dark Blue is a lot more realistic, but isn't as dramatic as a black wash can be), or a darker shade of your base color to make things blend together more readily.

As with everything else painting, you'll just need to experiment and find out what works best for you.

Until next time, readers - paint on!

No comments:

Post a Comment