Sunday, August 3, 2014

And I beheld a pale horse...

Greetings once more, readers.  I hope you forgive me a touch of the dramatic for this post, but I thought it rather fitting for one of the big nasties for the Warhammer Fantasy Vampires - Count Mannfred himself.  To quote the full passage: "When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, "Come." I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth."

 Not really apropos of anything in particular, other than the fact that it provided a touch of inspiration for the paint scheme on this fellow.  If I were to paint him again, I may try for a fully phantasmal mount - along the lines of what you saw in the Banshee previously - but I think the results for this one will stand up quite on their own.

But first, I promised you all something a little special today, didn't I?  Well, after a couple of hours playing and tweaking, I worked up a render of the Sisters from one of the Pathfinder games I'm in - particularly, the one involving the adventures of Argos Magebane - the Four-Armed sisters Coeava and Sorecha:


Yeah, I've still got a ways to go before I'm really pulling off the really good sculpts and sets - but I'm learning, and it certainly looks a lot better than the first one I tried doing (not the Dragon, the other one) - but I've still got a long way to go.  Still, I'm learning - and these will make a great painting reference when I get my 3d printer in!

But I've put it off long enough, wouldn't you say?  You all want to see Count Mannfred - my entry for this month's painting contest:


And from the other side, showing off how all the colors really interact with each other:


And I think he'll be a force to be reckoned with.  Took a while to paint him up - I think I clocked in at just over 3 hours for him - but I'm certainly happy with the results - and can't wait to hear the talk about him once I bring him in.

And, now that this month's competition piece is done, those of you who have been paying attention will know what time it is:






He may be sleeping now - but starting tomorrow, I will be taking on an attempt to paint him up.  It is not an easy task - if nothing else, that's a big old body to cover in paint, but he's far from the biggest project I've tackled.   So tune in tomorrow to see how far I get on him in the evening.

Until then, folks - paint on!

No comments:

Post a Comment