Saturday, July 26, 2014

He may have the Red and the White, but he certainly isn't Blue

Greetings once more, readers and fellow painting enthusiasts.  After a few gaming-fraught days, I have nearly finished the Hellborn Sorceror that I had started on last time - and have a little bit of a side note on the talks I've had about sealing miniatures earlier.

I know you all want the pictures, so I'll start with the opposite - that's right, it's just going to be me talking for a bit, about one issue that can pop up on particularly humid days when you're trying to seal miniatures.  I'm talking about cases where either the sealer glops up and turns an opaque white on the figure, or turns into a rough translucent exterior that comes across as...  well, rather ugly.  After all the effort you've put into the figure to this point, you don't want to strip it and start again, so what do you do?

Well, you melt the outer layers of sealer, that's what.  But don't stick it in an oven - that's a good way to melt the miniature along with it.  What you want to do is grab a good quality hair dryer and a decently thick driving glove.  Set the hair dryer on Hot and High, hold the figure with your off hand, and blast away.  It should take a few minutes for the sealer to melt - you can tell when it turns glossy and wet looking again - and shortly after that, you're done - put the figure to the side and give it time to cool - you can try reposing it a bit in this time if you want and are using a plastic or vinyl figure (along the lines of Dwarven Forge's Dwarvenite or Reaper Miniatures Bones line) - but it may not be hot enough to reset the figure's default position (this works along the same principles of the Hot Water Method used to re-pose plastic, resin, or vinyl miniatures).  Voila, you're done, and the finished product should look all the better for it.

Now for what you all are really here for: the pictures of the finished product.  And so I give you Damien, Hellborn Sorceror, from Reaper Miniatures:


From the front, you can see how all the colors come together to make everything stand out...


As the back gives you site of near all the metal bits he has on him - which is to say, all the gold buttons (hm...  I sure do love my gold buttons, don't I?).  A decent amount of work for a chore day - and this one I think looks a bit better in the pictures than on the table, though that may just be me.

That's all I have for today.  Tomorrow is a lazy day for a change, so I'm probably going to have a few new figures to show off - and next weekend, I should have the next competition piece to work on, followed by the dread Cthulhu himself after that.

He is drawing near to waking!

Until next time, folks - paint on!

No comments:

Post a Comment