Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Wintry Grasp

Hello once again, readers mine.  Who's ready to look at what a bit of plasticard and some craft store scenic snow paint can accomplish?

In terms of difficulty to use, Plasticard - which is to say, sheets of plastic sheet molded into a variety of shapes, is a small step up from using a sculpted base in terms of difficulty to use.  The only additional item that you need to be aware of when using it is that you will need to cut the material to fit on top of the base that you're using.  After that, you'll apply the miniature, fill in any gaps between the base and the card (optional, but I do recommend it, even if I didn't do that myself...), and paint as normal.  Straightforward and fairly easy to use, but you can end up with a fairly flat result if you're not careful.

There are a number of other materials that you can use for similar purposes - fiberglass screen door screen works very well for creating a mesh walk type of texture, for example.  Just look at what's available, and you should be able to find something worth using.

The next bit to talk on tonight (I know, I know, lots of talking tonight, but I'll get to the pictures here shortly) is applying snow to a base.  There are a number of good-to-great products that you can use to do this - you can use the classic Baking Soda/White Glue/White Paint mixture to give you a fairly smooth creamy snow look, or you can look for (or make your own) one of the craft store snow mixes that are basically white paint and sand mixed together (which gives you a very lumpy heavy sleet look to the base).  In either case, you will paint the material directly on the base, giving a nice coat over a solid chunk of the base.

But, now for what you've been waiting for - the Hound of Tindalos has been completed, and, as promised, I have put snow and ice on most of the base:


Unlike the other figures up to this point, however, this figure is not yet finished.  There is a pearlescent agent that I will apply to the snow, as well as a brush-on glaze that I will apply to the icey patches after I seal the miniature, which will really give the base a nice looking sparkle and glare, before I can say the figure is completely done.  But this is as far as it will get before then.

And now, as a special bonus, now for something completely different: my next WIP (and something to talk about in the next entry) is the Pirate Mousling by Reaper Miniatures - a figure that makes great use of Drybrushing in order to paint:


Finally, voting is now closed on the painting contest that I have been taking part in.  I won't know the results until tomorrow, but I'm hopeful that I will emerge victorious!  Or, at least in the top 3.  If I don't win, then I'll definitely redouble my efforts for the next contest, and emerge the victor then!
Until tomorrow, then - paint on!

No comments:

Post a Comment